Thursday, January 2, 2014

Cancer defeated (we think) ... time to refocus

My husband's chemotherapy and radiation treatments are over and we're focused on healing and getting him off the feeding tube and back to eating "regular" food.

The doctors are optimistic and think the treatments beat the cancer, but we won't know for sure until a fresh round of scans are taken in February.

Now that the holiday madness is in the past, I'm taking stock and taking a good hard look at the last few months.

I am still fitting into a size 12 jean, but it's a tight squeeze.  My favorite pair of "skinny jeans" are in the closet, too tight to wear.  I stepped on the scale to see I've put on about 25 lbs. since August.

I can't say I'm completely happy about how I did once I was off the program, but I'm not discouraged, either.  After initial success on a diet, many people are too willing to throw in the towel when the weight starts creeping back up. They say, "See!  Those fad diets never work!  You only gain the weight back after you're done!"

I am not defeated.  I know what caused the weight gain and I take full responsibility for what happened. I know I can easily get back to where I was before my husband received his diagnosis.

Sitting for hours on end in waiting rooms and sticking close to home in case I was needed made me more sedentary than I wanted to be.  I didn't get to go on regular bike rides but now that my husband is feeling better and he doesn't have daily medical treatments, I can get back on the bike and start riding regularly (Besides, I have a bicycle tour in April that I need to start training for!)

The sedentary lifestyle along with the the foods I ate over the past few months are what started packing the pounds back onto my frame.  I ate what was convenient - or comforting - instead of what my body really needed.

So am I going to wring my hands in frustration?  Give up?  Beat myself up for making bad choices?

The answer is a resounding NO!

I was able to reduce my weight by 120+ lbs. not that long ago.  25 lbs. is nothing!  I know how to get this weight off and it won't take me long to do it!  I LOVED the way I felt and looked 25 lbs. lighter and love myself enough to do what's best for me.  To be completely honest, I think I need to get a little bit beyond where I was before.  So I'm guessing I need to reduce about 40 lbs. total.

Not only that, but I didn't get beyond Phase II of Ideal Protein when I was on it before.  It's time to finish the program and make it all the way to Phase IV! I think Phase IV is the phase where you learn how to cope with the world post-diet, and I could have used those tools over the past few months.

This morning I called the center where I was on Ideal Protein and scheduled an appointment to weigh in on Monday.  My weekly blog posts will resume on Monday, too!

Starting this week, I am back to commuting to work via bicycle (more than I drive) and begin a serious training routine for my bicycle tour of Mississippi.  I've got to be up for 30-50 mile daily bike rides by April!

So I start this year about where I was this time last year, weight-wise, and with just as much faith in myself and determination as I had before. 


No comments:

Post a Comment