Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Stepping off the scale for a while....


My Wonderful Husband.
Photo by Coyne & Vicki Gibson

As I've mentioned in past blogs, my husband recently received a cancer diagnosis and it's thrown our lives into a whirlwind.  Both chemotherapy and radiation treatments started this week.  Every day for the next seven weeks, my husband has to be shuttled 60 miles to San Antonio for these treatments.
Thankfully, I have family and friends willing to help with the transportation, which allows me to maintain a fairly regular work schedule.

Even with all the help, I have a lot on my plate right now and it's time to shift my focus for the next several weeks from my own health, to my husband's well-being and getting him through this. 

I am in awe of my husband's attitude and strength these last two months.  We both feel there will be rough days ahead but we'll emerge on the end of all of this with a cancer-free diagnosis. 

I've been doing a TON of reading about cancer-fighting foods, how to feed someone on a feeding tube, what foods keep you strong while on chemotherapy, etc.  The best resources I've found so far are "The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen" by Rebecca Katz and "Crazy-Sexy Kitchen" by Kris Carr.

I am very thankful that I started on Ideal Protein when I did (all things happen for a reason).  Not only am I stronger and more capable to face the challenges ahead than I would have been in "my old shape,"  I have also learned a lot about the damage sugar and processed foods do to our bodies, and have fallen in love with fresh veggies! (Believe it or not, cancer thrives when there's a lot of sugar in your diet and there are a lot of cancer-fighting fruits and veggies out there!) What I've learned about eating healthy will be the best resource in my arsenal while we're fighting this disease. 

During this time I'll check into this blog and let you know how I am doing.  I plan to keep eating within the Ideal Protein guidelines, as much as I can, but I'm not going to sweat it too much.  When my schedule gets to where I can manage some kind of regularity, I'll get back on the scale, return to Phase I to FINALLY get to goal and start posting weekly again.

I'll also see this as a true test of how I am going to function - diet-wise - in the real world.  My stress level is at an all time high and my emotions are all over the place but so far, I've been doing a fair job of maintaining my shape and eating more healthy stuff than bad.  (I could do better, but am not going to beat up on myself right now.)

Thank you so much for hanging with me while I've been on this journey.  I've come so far and have overcome so much!   While I am on this brief hiatus, I'm wishing you tons of success in your own journey!

God bless,
Lanza

1 comment: