Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Conquering the wild frontier

My bike on the trail to the river!
The bluebonnets were in bloom!
I don't have a weight to report.... yet.  Due to some upheavals in my schedule, my weigh-in is scheduled for 4 pm tomorrow.  I will post when I get home tomorrow evening.

This past weekend was the annual family campout and I had a lot of fun.  I was completely off plan during the weekend, but tried to stick (mostly) to low carb foods, limited my sugar and balanced the indulgences with lots of exercise.  We'll see how my strategy worked out.

This year's campout was a big improvement over last year.  I was able to play with the kids, cook and clean up after several meals, hike the trails and go on some looooong, hilly bike rides. After all that activity I still had energy to spare!  I felt good and happy most of the time.  The stuff that made me mad last year happened again this year and instead of flying into a red-hot fury, I felt minor annoyance and was eventually able to shrug it off.

Every once in a while I'd marvel at how much my life has changed since last year's campout.  I can't get over how good I feel - physcially and mentally.  At one point during the campout my mom looked at me and said, "I can't get over how much you've changed!  You don't even look like the same person!"

I smiled and said, "Well, I'm not the same person!"

The biggest achievement of the weekend was conquering the humongous hill on the road leading to the campground on my bike.  It's a steep incline that runs about a quarter mile and I was able to climb the hill not once, but several times, without having to stop and walk the bike!!

I've come a long, long way.... but there's still a ways to go.

More tomorrow!










No comments:

Post a Comment