|What a change!! Left: Me at 288 lbs. Right: Me at 210 lbs.|
I'm over half way to my goal!!
Just 10 lbs. to go and I'll be under 200 lbs. for the first time since 1989 (I think).
I am still making up for the ground I lost last week by going off diet. My fat percentage is up again. The diet counselors and I were puzzled about the jump in my fat ratio - I didn't do any strenuous exercise and I was completely on plan all week ... so what happened?
It wasn't until we talked about the stuff I ate last week that it all made sense. The fatty and sugary foods I ate last week added to my overall fat mass, so I am still working off those moments of weakness. Two days of consuming cheese-stuffed jalapenos, sausage balls and assorted cookies off the art center's reception tables were not worth the extra work I caused myself.
The fat gain gave me a much-needed reality check. I needed last week's experience to show me, in no uncertain terms, how important my nutrition choices need to be from here on out. A couple of days' worth of indulgence left me with two weeks' worth of work. There will be a day, in the very near future, when I am no longer on this diet. I want to keep the weight I've shed off my body for the rest of my life. I can't go back to the way I was eating when I weighed 288 lbs. and more.
I'm not going to say I am never going to touch fried chicken or cookies ever again. That would be unrealistic. I am going to say that those items will be extremely limited in Lanza's post-diet world. I enjoy living so much more now with a healthier size and lifestyle that going back to who I was before I started Ideal Protein is unthinkable.
I am not going to focus on last week's blunder. Instead I am going to focus on how I feel today and list some of the things that have changed in my every day life, the things that make each day a new miracle.
- Bath time! One of my favorite indulgences has always been long, hot tub baths. In the past I was so heavy that getting into and out of the tub was a major chore. Not only that, the tub was not comfortable once I got in there. I eventually gave up on them all together. I can now easily get into and out of the tub and relax with a lot more room to soak!
- Public Restrooms! I no longer have to do acrobatics to fit inside of the average public restroom stall!
- Goodbye to the 2s! My jeans size is a LOOSE 18. No more twenty-something sizes or more than one X!
- Stairs! I can climb stairs quickly, without pain or without getting winded!
- Who are you? People who haven't seen me in a long time are not recognizing me. When this happens it reinforces my determination to keep going because what I've done so far has already made a huge difference in the way people are seeing me.
- I fit ... with room to spare! Seat belts, movie theater seats, and chairs with arms no longer have the potential for embarrassment. Not only that, I can comfortably cross my legs again!!
Note: For the next two weeks, my weigh-in will be on Tuesday afternoons.... so my regular blog posts will be either Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning.